1. Have your furnace inspected in the fall. This way, if there are any issues, you will have them fixed before the cold. This will also save you the risk of ending up on a waiting list for repairs!
2. Check the exterior of your home closely for broken seals. This will keep the cold air out and the warmth in, and save you money on electricity bills!
3. Inspect the skirting of your home to be sure it is secure and that there are no areas that small animals could get through.
4. Inspect and replace (if needed) insulation. Having a well-insulated home is an easy way to stop wasted energy, but it also helps prevent your pipes from freezing.
5. Remove hoses from exterior water sources and examine all outdoor faucets to prevent sitting water and freeze damages.
6. Check and clean your gutters to ensure there is no buildup or clogging. Keeping your gutters clean makes them last longer and prevents breakage!
7. Install weather strips around doors to prevent warm air from escaping and cold air from getting in.
8. Check the batteries in your fire and carbon monoxide alarms and replace them if necessary.
9. Refresh the caulk around the exterior of your doors and windows. This is a very inexpensive way to keep the cold air from sneaking in through leaks!
10. Sit back, have a cup of cocoa and enjoy your winter, after all that preparation, you definitely deserve it! Check out this delicious recipe, it is sure to be a family favorite this winter!
While there are tons of great YouTube tutorials for basic repair issues, be sure to consult a professional if you run into any issues during your winterization process! For more great tips be sure to subscribe to our blog!